Community hub volunteer
Help someone rebuild their life
We are passionate about helping vulnerable people to reach their full potential. We strive for a fairer society where vulnerable people find stability, the most excluded are included, and where homelessness and poverty are things of the past.
Tackling homelessness is about more than just providing a roof – it’s about helping people rebuild their lives.
You will be based at our community support hubs – places that Porchlight residents and members of the community can go to connect with others and get support for issues they are facing.
You’ll be somebody they can speak to about whatever they’re going through (or just be a friendly face that they can trust). In turn, you can help them access support related to healthy living, life skills, social skills, education and employment and more.
You’ll have the opportunity to run community hub activities – such as cooking workshops or art sessions – that will help them break out of old habits and form new, healthier ones.
These are just some of the ways that time can make a big difference to the lives of others. If you feel passionately about helping people, we want to hear from you.
What we need from you
- A positive, self-motivated attitude
- Good communication skills (written and verbal) and the ability to influence others
- A commitment to confidentiality when dealing with sensitive subjects
- An adaptable approach to helping people
- Two references will be required
- A full DBS will be sought
A full induction and training will be provided to prepare you for the role. You’ll also be able to attend team meetings and shadow Porchlight staff (to gain more knowledge about the work we do).
Benefits for you volunteering
- Develop skills and experience of the homelessness sector in a positive, friendly and supportive environment
- Have access to relevant training courses run at Porchlight
- A professional reference for future work / study / volunteering opportunities
- Make a significant contribution to supporting people to move forward with their lives
- Invaluable work experience.