Community inclusion and mentoring volunteer
Help people who are feeling isolated get more involved with their community
People who are feeling isolated can find it hard to engage in new activities and get involved with their local community. You could make a big difference to someone's life, simply by accompanying them to the gym, supermarket, park, community centre or an appointment.
You will support local (possibly vulnerable) people who are over the age of 18, under the supervision of a Porchlight project worker.
You will be required to attend set training sessions, as well as regular meetings with your mentor where you will discuss your own support needs and training opportunities.
Here are just a few of the ways you can offer your support:
- Increase someone's confidence by helping them to attend local community events and activities
- Accompany someone to pre-arranged meetings or groups which will help them to build confidence, engagement and reduce their feelings of isolation
- Encourage someone to go for a walk in their local park or woodland
- Help to gather useful information on local community groups, activities and service providers
These are so many ways that your time can make a big difference to someone’s life. If you are enthusiastic, positive and feel passionate about supporting people to build their confidence and self esteem, this could be the role for you.
What we need from you
- Enthusiasm and an interest in reducing social isolation
- Commitment to attending set training sessions
- Commitment to meeting with your mentor regularly
- Flexibility and a positive attitude
- Two references will be required
- A full DBS will be sought
A full induction and specific training will be provided to prepare you for this important role.
You will have the chance to shadow more experienced workers to help you gain knowledge of local services and community activities.
We are looking for a commitment of at least 6 months for this role.
- Dover & Shepway
- Dartford, Gravesham, Swanley
The benefits of volunteering
- Develop key skills and valuable experience of the homelessness sector within a dynamic, positive, friendly and supportive environment
- Access to relevant training courses run at Porchlight
- The opportunity to gain a formal certificate in mentoring
- A professional reference for future work / study / volunteering opportunities
- Make a significant contribution to someone moving forward with their lives
- Invaluable work experience