Help us to build stronger LGBT+ communities in Kent
Roles available in Swale and Thanet
The BeYou Project is a service for young people identifying as LGBT+ (who can struggle with their mental health and wellbeing). You'll be supporting them and also running activities which are geared towards supporting and building the LGBT+ community in Kent.
There is very little support across Kent for LGBT+ young people and we're determined to change this. At Porchlight, we have a long history of supporting homeless LGBT+ young people and we understand that everyone’s story is different.
The BeYou Project is our Kent-wide service for LGBT+ young people, which offers advice, guidance and safe, inclusive spaces that allow young LGBT+ people to express themselves in a supportive environment.
We also work with other agencies, schools, colleges and youth groups, delivering training on how to overcome unintended barriers and create LGBT+-friendly environments.
Our volunteer programme
The BeYou Project needs volunteers to work with 13 to 18-year-olds who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans, non-binary or are questioning their sexual orientation and / or gender identity.
Could you help?
We’re looking for people who can give up a few hours each week to help staff a BeYou social group (safe spaces for LGBT+ young people to meet up). You’ll be offering advice to help young people address any concerns or worries relating to their sexuality, gender identity or expression. This involves:
- Being someone LGBT+ young people can talk to about issues they are facing.
- Helping them improve their confidence and self-esteem
- Encouraging them to pursue their passions and develop their talents
- Getting them involved with activities happening in the local area
What we need from you
- Someone who can talk with, motivate and engage young people
- You should have a good understanding of the issues LGBT+ young people face
- We ask that volunteers undergo some training (provided by Porchlight)
- Two references will be required and a DBS check will be undertaken
- You can help young people gain the confidence to move forward with their lives
- You’ll receive training for the role
- You will gain valuable experience of supporting young people
- We will provide a reference for future work, study and