Meet & greet volunteer roles
Help the people we support to feel safe and welcome
Roles available in Dover, Folkestone and Thanet
We are passionate about helping vulnerable people to reach their full potential. We strive for a fairer society where vulnerable people find stability, the most excluded are included, and where homelessness and poverty are things of the past.
Help us create a friendly and welcoming environment at one of our Porchlight Open Door meet-ups – places where people who’ve experienced homelessness or poor mental health can go to meet others, improve their confidence, learn new skills and get advice.
You will meet and greet people coming to the meet-ups. Many people we work with can feel anxious about attending, and you will help them to feel at ease. You’ll also help to run activities and to serve lunches cooked onsite by our staff and clients, and refreshments.
In addition, the role can involve referring people we work with to support services (if needed) and helping to set up and clean down the meet-ups.
These are just a few ways that you can make a big difference to others. If you’re passionate about giving people the chance to rebuild the confidence, improve their self-esteem and get to where they want to be in life, we want to hear from you.
We have roles available in:
- Dover (Tuesdays, 1pm – 3pm)
- Folkestone women-only group (Fridays, 11am – 1pm)
- Thanet (Wednesdays, 12.30pm – 2.30pm)
What we need from you
- A friendly and welcoming demeanour
- A positive and adaptable approach to helping people
- Good communication skills and the ability to influence others
- A commitment to confidentiality when dealing with sensitive subjects
- Two references will be required
A full induction and training will be provided to prepare you for the role. You’ll also be able to attend team meetings and shadow Porchlight staff to gain more knowledge about the work we do.
Benefits for you volunteering
- Develop skills and experience of the homelessness sector in a positive, friendly and supportive environment
- The chance to gain a Level 2 certificate in food hygiene
- Access to relevant training courses run at Porchlight
- A professional reference for future work / study / volunteering opportunities
- Make a significant contribution to supporting people to move forward with their lives
- Invaluable work experience.