Mental health champion – for the Sheppey Community Network
More support for people who need it
Help us raise awareness of mental ill health – how it can affect people and what they can do to get support – amongst communities on Sheppey.
About the Sheppey Community Network
One in four islanders will struggle with mental health at some point this year. The Sheppey Community Network – run by Porchlight and Big Local Eastern Sheppey – aims to get more support in place for people who are going through a difficult time, particularly those in Eastchurch, Leysdown and Warden.
Working with Porchlight’s community mental health coordinator, you will raise awareness of mental ill health – how it can affect people and what they can do to get support – amongst people in Eastchurch, Leysdown and Warden.
This will include supporting individuals who are going through a difficult time and helping to run events for local businesses and organisations that challenge the stigma of mental ill health (such as talks, awareness sessions and events).
What we need from you
- Good communications skills (you will be required to talk to people and host events)
- Strong listening skills and an empathetic approach (people may want to share their personal experiences with you)
- Experience of supporting people would be an advantage
- We ask that volunteers undergo some training (provided by Porchlight)
- Two references will be required and a DBS check will be undertaken.
A full induction and specific, relevant training will be provided to prepare all volunteers for their role.
Shadowing community mental health coordinator to gain knowledge in local services and community activities
To request an application form or to find out more, please email the team at EasternSheppeyNetwork@porchlight.org.uk
Benefits for you, volunteering
- Develop key skills and valuable experience of the mental health sector within a dynamic, positive, friendly and supportive environment
- Have access to relevant training courses run at Porchlight
- A professional reference for future work / study / volunteering opportunities
- Make a significant contribution to supporting individuals to move forward with their lives
- Invaluable work experience.