Volunteer support for LGBT+ young people from a BAME background
Be part of our youth of colour group
The BeYou Project is our Kent-wide service for LGBT+ young people, which offers advice, guidance and safe, inclusive spaces to be themselves. We've recently introduced extra support for LGBT+ young people from ethnically diverse backgrounds.
The BeYou Project's online group - Youth of Colour - is a safe space for LGBT+ young people in Kent from ethnically and culturally diverse backgrounds.
It's somewhere they can be themselves, have all aspects of the identity recognised and talk freely about their experiences of existing in multiple communities.
We need volunteers who can draw on similar experiences to help run these groups, which take place over Zoom four times a year (in between more regular BeYou meet-ups for all LGBT+ young people in Kent). They will help young people to tackle issues they are facing and to improve their self-esteem.
Because we believe that representation matters, we highly encourage people from LGBT+ and BAME communities to apply for this role.
Could you help?
- Being a person that LGBT+ young people from ethnically and culturally diverse backgrounds can talk to about issues they are facing
- Helping them improve their confidence and self-esteem
- Encouraging them to pursue their passions and develop their talents
- Getting them involved with activities happening in the local area
What we need from you
- Someone who can talk with, motivate and engage young people
- You should have a good understanding of the issues LGBT+ young people from ethnically diverse backgrounds face
- We ask that volunteers undergo some training (provided by Porchlight)
- Two references will be required and a DBS check will be undertaken
- You can help young people gain the confidence to move forward with their lives
- You’ll receive training for the role
- You will gain valuable experience of supporting young people
- We will provide a reference for future work, study and