Coronavirus advice: temporary or shared accommodation
This page contains advice about how to protect yourself from coronavirus if you are living in a shared or temporary accommodation
This information is being regularly updated.
If you need to speak to someone about your support from Porchlight you can call our free helpline on 0800 567 7699
What is Coronavirus?
Coronavirus (also known as Covid-19) is a virus that affects your lungs and airways. Most people who have the virus will not die, but people can become seriously ill and develop difficulty breathing, especially those with underlying health conditions.
How do we stop it spreading?
Coronavirus is more contagious than other viruses. The government has put new rules in place that apply to everyone, even people who feel healthy or are not at risk. This is what we all must do to stop the virus spreading:
- Wash your hands for at least 20 seconds with soap. If there is no soap tell your accommodation manager immediately.
- Don’t touch your face with unwashed hands.
- Wear a face covering in enclosed spaces.
- Don’t share cigarettes or drink from the same cups, mugs, bottles or cans.
If you think you have coronavirus
The symptoms of coronavirus are:
- A high temperature – if your chest or back feels hot to touch.
- A new continuous cough.
- A loss of or change to your sense of smell or taste.
If you have these symptoms it is important you stay at home. Do not go to the GP, pharmacy or hospital. Speak to your accommodation manager about how you can get food or medical supplies delivered.
You can use the NHS 111 service or call them on 111 to see what you should do if you have these symptoms.