Fundraising speaker volunteer
Spread awareness of our work
We are passionate about helping vulnerable people to reach their full potential. We strive for a fairer society where vulnerable people find stability, the most excluded are included, and where homelessness and poverty are things of the past.
Our fundraising team work in local communities, raising vital funds that enable us to continue our work.
You will support the team by giving talks to churches, schools and community groups. It’s an opportunity to explain Porchlight’s work and the issues faced by the people we support.
By telling the stories of people who have been homeless and turned their life around thanks to Porchlight, you can challenge stereotypes and misconceptions associated with homelessness. You will also inspire people to support us by donating or doing a fundraising activity.
This role will involve
- Giving talks about homelessness and Porchlight to a variety of community groups such as churches, schools, WI and Girl Guiding groups.
- Educating people about the causes of homelessness and the issues faced by the people we support.
- Generating enthusiasm about supporting the charity through donations, volunteering and fundraising.
- Promoting Porchlight’s latest appeals and campaigns.
What we need from you
- Enthusiasm and the ability to give inspiring talks and presentations
- Experience as a public speaker
- The ability to communicate with a wide range of audiences and age groups
- Flexibility - talks often (but not exclusively) take place during early mornings, evenings and weekends
- Experience of using IT programs and equipment such as PowerPoint, laptops and projectors
- To be committed to attend relevant training sessions
- Two references will be required
- A full clean driver’s license and use of a car is required
An induction and training will be provided.
The benefits of volunteering
- Develop key skills and valuable experience of the homelessness sector within a dynamic, positive, friendly and supportive environment
- Access to relevant training courses run at Porchlight
- The opportunity to gain a formal certificate in mentoring
- A professional reference for future work / study / volunteering opportunities
- Make a significant contribution to someone moving forward with their lives
- Invaluable work experience